Accessibility View Close toolbar


Q. What is the dose of Benadryl to give my dog for allergic reactions or mild itching?

A. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1 mg per pound. It comes in a 25 mg or 50 mg tablet and can be given twice daily. It is always best to call our office or the VEC (Veterinary Emergency Clinic) before starting any medication.

Q. I think my dog was stung by a bee and now his face is swollen. Can I give him something at home?

A. Since bee stings and other bug bites can quickly lead to anaphylactic shock (a severe allergic reaction beyond just facial swelling), we recommend that you call us immediately so we can get your pet in for the veterinarian to do a physical exam on him.

Q. Can I give my dog aspirin or other over the counter pain medications?

A. Aspirin is more likely to cause stomach ulcers, vomiting, or kidney failure if not properly used. We would recommend that you do not use aspirin unless your pet is under a veterinarians direct care. We have several “dog and cat” friendly pain medications so it is important to schedule an exam to determine the cause of the pain, discomfort, or lameness to best help your pet.

Q. Are there any over the counter treatments for diarrhea?

A. The first step would be to feed a bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice with no salt. You can also feed the Hills W/D canned. You may also try Kaopectate 1cc per 10 pounds 2-3 times daily. Do not give the tablet form of this product. If the diarrhea has not gotten better in 1-2 days then your pet will need to be seen by one of our veterinarians.

Q. My pet gets car sick can I give him anything over the counter for this?

A. You can give both cats and dogs Dramamine (Meclizine) 1 hour before travel. Cats dosage is 12.5mg 1-2 times daily and Dogs dosage is 25mg 1-2 times daily. We can also give Cerenia, which is a wonderful medication in injectable or tablet form for nausea.

Q. My pet ate something they shouldn't have what should I do?

A. In this case it is always better to call your veterinarian or the emergency hospital for advice. If your pet ate medication or poison it is best to have that information handy before you call. We may direct you to call poison control in some cases. If your pet swallowed a foreign material do not induce vomiting as that could do more harm than good.

Q. What is the best age to spay or neuter my pet?

A. We typically like to spay or neuter pets between 5-6 mths. of age.

Q. I can't get rid of the fleas in my house and I've used several over the counter products from the

grocery store, what can I do?

A. Typically, it takes at the very least three months to get rid of fleas and there is no quick fix. Over the counter products are not always effective and are harmful in some cases adverse reactions like tremors or seizures can occur. We recommend using a good quality product such as Activyl, Tritak, Advantage or Advantage Multi., etc. every month on the pet. You must also treat your house and yard for fleas at the same time that the product is put on your pet. We recommend Siphotrol Premise spray for the house and Bayer Advanced for your yard. You will need to retreat your house and yard in two weeks. Due to the fleas life cycle is will take 3-4 months to get rid of the existing infestation. Call our office and we can help you win this battle!

Q. Do pets have to go under anesthesia for dental cleanings?

A. Yes, it is very important to use general anesthesia for dental cleanings in pets. We need to be able to probe the teeth properly, clean under the gum line and there may be possible extractions needed. We also want to protect the airway with an endotracheal tube to deliver oxygen and anesthesia safely to your pet; this also prevents water, bits of tartar, and bacteria from entering the windpipe during the cleaning.

Q. Why do my indoor only pets need vaccines, heartworm, and flea medication?

A. Vaccines are important to all pets even though they may be at low risk. However, Rabies is required by law for all dogs and cats. Indoor only pets are at a lower risk but they could escape and become exposed to wild life that carry the Rabies virus. Flea, tick, and heartworm products are important since fleas can “hitchhike” in on our pant leg or from other pets that go outdoors. Heartworms are caused from mosquitoes and they can certainly enter the home.

Q. Why does my puppy or kitten need multiple exams and vaccinations?

A. Kittens and puppies need a series of vaccines to m ake sure that they build proper immunity to diseases. Antibodies from the mother may interfere with antibodies introduced from a vaccine so it is important to give multiple vaccines until the pet is at least 16 weeks old or 4 months.

Q. My pet was just there for a sick appointment, why do I have to pay for another exam to be done

with vaccinations?

A. We want to make sure that your pet is healthy enough for vaccines. If your pet is not well enough we may decide to put the vaccinations off until they are back to 100%. Also, the rabies vaccines must be administered by a veterinarian.

Q. Why do I need to check an indoor only cats stool for worms?

A. Indoor cats can acquire parasites from digging in or ingesting potting soil, ingesting insects or rodents in the house or tapeworms from fleas. While parasites are not as common in indoor cats, they can be affected and checking a fecal sample every 6-12 months is recommended by the CDC. This will reduce the risk of transmission of a zoonotic parasite that can cause disease, sometimes serious illnesses, in children or immune compromised individuals.